Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum has promised to look after the families of the policemen and members of civilian joint task force killed by Boko Haram fighters in an ambush on Friday in Borno.
The security personnel were killed while some injured when the governor’s backup convoy was attacked along Baga-Monguno road.
A statement by the governor’s media aide Isa Gusau said Zulum on Monday met with the families of the fallen policemen at the police headquarters in Maiduguri.
Zulum said he was purposely there to sympathise and condole with them.
“It is very unfortunate that the incident happened. May Almighty God in his infinite mercy forgive and reward them for their sacrifices and may God grant you the strength to bear the fortitude of this huge loss that is for all of us,” he said.
“It is so sad, looking at what happened. It is quite unfortunate and I am pained by that incident.
“However, those men died as heroes, as patriots and as people that have brought honour to their families even though we never wished that it happened.
“Insha Allah, we shall do everything possible to support the families. The education of their children is very important in addition to the support for their means of livelihood.”
The governor was also at the state specialist hospital in Maiduguri to see the injured.
The hospital’s medical director Laraba Bello said eight injured persons were brought to the hospital on Sunday, made up of a policeman and seven CJTF members. He added that five had been treated and discharged while the remaining three were responding to treatment.