University of Ilorin, UNILORIN debate team wins the first west African debate championship in 2018 at Ghana.
The Student Union commends the University of Ilorin team who just emerged champions of the maiden Genesis Debate tournament, which is an International Open tournament seeing undergraduate and postgraduate participants from Nigeria, Ghana & Mauritius, held from the 4th till 7th of January in Accra, Ghana.
The Final round of the championship held on Sunday, 7th of January at the University of
Ghana, was contested by the following teams:
In Opening government- Jessica Amoor (University of Ghana) & Esinam Osei-Bonsu (Kwame Nkrumah University of science and Technology)
In Opening Opposition- Faithfulness Okom (University of Calabar) & Derrick Ackah (Ghana Law school, Mokola)
In Closing Government- Richard Adu-Poku (Africa Leadership University, Mauritius) & Omotayo Jimoh (UNILORIN)
In Closing Opposition- Hawau Abikan & David Ejim (both of UNILORIN,)
With the University of Ilorin emerging champions.
The debate team was also awarded 3 of the top 10 speakers medals, the best female debater award, the Second best judge medal (won by Abolarin Mohammed) and one of our students, Adekunbi Ademola, served as the Co-Chief Adjudicator of the competition.
Universities in attendance were
1. University of Ghana, Legon
2. Covenant University, Otta
3. University of Lagos
4. Zenith University College, Accra
5. Federal University of Technology Akure
6. Islamic University College, Accra
7. University of Calabar
8. Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA)
9. Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
10. Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi
11. University of Ilorin
12. Africa Leadership University, Mauritius
13. Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
The Unilorin debate team hereby used this opportunity to appreciate the University management and student affairs unit for the privilege given to them to represent the school.