Comedian I Go Dye has stated that Nigerian workers are the most used in the world as he lent his voice to the demand for an increase in minimum wage in Nigeria.
Different labour groups have threatened to go on strike if their demands of N30,000 minimum wage is not met. They have advised Nigerians to stock their homes with food and needed materials ahead of the the strike which they say will begin on the 6th of November.
Reacting to the call for a new minimum wage, comedian I Go Dye compared the treatment Nigerian workers are getting to what their counterparts in the rest of the world are getting.
Sharing on Instagram, he wrote:
NIGERIA WORKERS ARE THE MOST USED WORKERS IN THE WORLD, OTHER COUNTRIES WORK PER HOUR, WHILE NIGERIAN WORKERS WORK FROM 8AM -4PM AND YET THEY ARE PAID LESS THAN $50 MONTHLY.
When I proposed to Federal Government 2017 Logic and Reason without guns. Here we are today still deliberating on it. Minimum wage is an Insult to our pride as a Nation
When you evaluate what is obtainable across other countries even in Africa or else where as minimum wage, 1. Nigeria – $38 (N18,000).
2. Algeria – $175 (N83,000).
3. Belgium – $1,738 (N810,000).
4. Cameroun – 36, 270CFA ($75) N38,000.
5. Chad – $120 (N60,000).
6. Denmark – $1,820 (N900,000).
7. Libya – $430 (N190,000).
8. Japan – $1000 (N350,000).
9. Cote D’ivoire -36,607CFA $72.
10. New Zealand -$3,187 (N1.4m).
11. Luxemburg – $2,500 (N1.1m).
12. Spain – $760. (N300,000).
13. Switzerland – $5,620 – N2.5m.
14. USA – $11 per hour.