4-year-old girl and 3 others in Lagos hospital following cooking gas explosion

A 4-year-old girl, Faridat Shittu, is in critical condition at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, after a cooking gas explosion ravaged her home at 1, Odubanwo Street, off Olaniyi Street, Gbinrinmi in Ojokoro LCDA, Lagos.

Faridat’s grandfather, grandmother, and uncle also suffered burns in the incident that occurred on Sunday, Feb 4.

Narrating what happened, one of the victims, Faridat’s grandmother, who is currently in severe pain in hospital said she was frying meat and suddenly the oil caught fire and efforts to control it got beyond their capacity, which led to an explosion of the cooking gas. “

Faridat Shittu was sleeping in the room when the incident happened about 2p.m. but was rescued by community members and other injured victims.

The 14-room building, including shops, was burnt down due to the intensity of the explosion, thereby rendering 11 families homeless.


Leave a Reply