Those challenging the non-submmision of academic credentials of President Muhammadu Buhari in court are abusing the judicial system in the country.
The above remark was made by the Presidency while reacting to reports of critics of the administration who have decided to seek a legal redress in court over the issue.
Mr Buhari who is seeking a second term in office has again failed to submit his academic credentials to INEC. It is stipulated that candidates for elective positions must submit their credentials to the electoral body.
For Buhari, a retired Major General of the Nigerian Army, his certificates are with the military. He made the claims in an affidavit he attached to his presidential form in 2014.
The military came out to debunk the claim at the time. Some Nigerians who sought the disqualification of the President from participating in the 2015 election through legal redress ended up withdrawing their suit when Buhari won the election. They claimed their lives were threatened if they refused and went on with the case.
As Buhari seeks re-election, he has restated his position in his 2019 presidential form to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Some Nigerians including the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) criticized the President, urging him to present his credentials or apologize.
Recently, the presidency was reported to have said the military who had earlier denied possession of Buhari’s certificates have now said they have lost hold of the documents. The military, as at press time, is yet to confirm the claim.
Reacting to the development, INEC advised critics who are doubting the information provided by presidential candidates in their form to approach a court of law.
The PDP and one other Nigerian, Itsede Kingley, has decided to seek a legal redress in court but the presidency seems to be panicking about the move.
National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, was quoted by Thisday Newspapers to have said lawyers of the party were “under instructions to challenge the president’s unsubstantiated claim in court.”
Reacting on Monday, the spokesman to the president, Garba Shehu, who described the move as a waste of time equally said it is an abuse of judicial system.
Mr Shehu said the act was shameful, disgusting and disgraceful.
“We have read that the failed Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is going to court to challenge the President’s West African School Certificate (WASC),” the spokesman said in a statement.
“This is a waste of time because we have the record of this and of higher qualifications obtained by hard work and truly merited by Mr President.
“To approach the court to pursue a matter long settled by the temple of justice is an abuse of the judicial system. It is shameful, disgusting and disgraceful,” Shehu added.